The Tasmanian Bicycle Council is the peak body for recreational and transport cycling in Tasmania. Cycling organisations, councils and bicycle user groups that share the goals of the council are welcome to apply for membership. Membership is not open to individuals.
The objectives of the Tasmanian Bicycle Council are to:
• provide input into state government policy about cycling as a form of transport and recreation
• work with AusCycling Tasmania and competitive cycling groups on shared issues
• coordinate statewide programs and activities such as Bike Week
• contribute to road safety and awareness campaigns about cycling through a membership position on the Tasmanian Road Safety Advisory Council
• facilitate opportunities for transport planners, engineers and designers to advance their bicycle infrastructure skills
• provide a forum for cycling groups from around the state to exchange ideas and share knowledge.
Hobart City Centre Cycleways
The Tasmanian Bicycle Council released a plan for cycleways in Hobart’s city centre in April 2019. The plan is designed to get people talking about what sort of cycle network could be provided in Hobart to encourage more people to ride to work, education, services and shopping.